Tomatillos are a key ingredient in fresh and cooked Mexican and Central-American green sauces.
The Mexican kitchen is loaded with the most incredible salsas and sauces. Here is one of them.
- 9 tomatillos (fresh, husk removed and rinsed)
- 1/2 yellow onion (cut into thirds)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 jalapeño
- salt and black pepper (freshly ground)
- 1/4 cup coriander (fresh )
- 1 Lime Juice (fresh)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C / Gas 4)
- Toss the tomatillos, garlic, pepper and onions with the olive oil and place evenly on a baking tray.
- Bake until the tomatillos and onions are soft, 15-20 minutes. If necessary, remove the garlic sooner to avoid scorching.
- Remove the stem, ribs and seeds from the jalapeño (or keep them in if you want it hot).
- Add the roasted vegetables, fresh coriander and lime juice into a blender and puree until smooth.
- Adjust the salt and pepper amounts, if necessary and transfer to a bowl.
Medium sized Bowl
Medium sized pan