This is an easy and healthy dish that tastes great. It uses the lime zest and cilantro can be added for a darker green color. The lime keeps this salad from oxidizing. As an option add cilantro since this herb goes great with lime. Avocado has so many health benefits according to many medical studies. Papaya is unique because it is not over-commercialized and still retains its intensity of vitamins and minerals. Together this salad really brings up these ingredients to superfood status.
Avocados do not contain any cholesterol or sodium, and are low in saturated fat. More potassium than a banana. Loaded with heart healthy fatty acids. Contains a really great amount of fiber. It is said that eating avocados can lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
Trivia: Known as “Alligator Pear”.
There are so many health benefits of eating papaya. Some are listed here but this link has a great profile for this superfood fruit. Papaya can help prevent inflammation, its great for heart health, prevention of heart disease, supports the immune system, and helps protect against rheumatoid arthritis.
Trivia: Green Tea and Papaya help prevent and fight prostate cancer.
Avocado Papaya Salad
- 2 avocados (peeled, halved, seeded and sliced length-wise)
- 1 papayas (peeled, halved, and seeded)
- 1 lime (zest and juiced)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 cup olive oil (extra-virgin )
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds (white or black or combination)
- Slice the avocados lengthwise into 1/2-inch thick slices.
- Slice the papayas width-wise into 1/2-inch thick slices.
- Arrange overlapping slices on a serving platter, alternating slices of avocado and papaya.
- In a small or medium sized bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Spoon the dressing over the avocado and papaya.
Options: Smoked Paprika instead of cayenne. How about chopped flax seeds instead of sesame seeds? Even use some chia seeds for super-food health.