Bacon, Cabbage and Lentil Soup
For a great meal, serve this with some crusty bread!
- 1 carrot finely chopped
- 1 stalk of celery finely chopped
- 1 medium to large onion finely chopped
- 5 strips of bacon favorite style and thickness
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 1 head of savoy cabbage or favorite
- 1 garlic clove diced
- 1 bay leaf fresh if possible
- 8 cups water or vegetable stock
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Heat a large saucepan or medium soup pot on medium heat for one minute. Then add olive oil, the onion, celery and carrot, letting them cook for about 4 minutes. Meanwhile, dice the garlic and prepare the herbs for use. Add garlic, bay leaf and thyme, then season with salt and pepper. Stir once every minute and allow the vegetables to sweat for about ten minutes total. Do not brown the vegetables.
- Next add the bacon, lentils, and tomatoes if you are using them. Stir, then add vegetable stock. Let this simmer until the lentils are cooked, about 8 minutes, adding some more water or stock if the liquid level drops too far.
- While the lentils are cooking, de-stalk and cut the cabbage leaves and add them to the soup. The water level should cover the cabbage leaves. Cover and simmer for about 5 minutes until the cabbage is cooked, but still nice and green.
Variations: Use leeks instead of onions, add kale or spinach, tomatoes, potatoes or pasta. Add a splash of wine. Substitute grilled or smoked mushrooms instead of bacon. Equipment List:
- Large Saucepan or soup pot
- Wooden Spoon
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cutting Board
- Chef’s Knife
- Medium bowl
- Adult Supervision