Waffle Iron Hashed Browns
- 2 russet potatoes shredded
- 3 Tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt 1 for extracting water from potatoes, the other teaspoon for seasoning later
- 2 Tablespoons onion grated, or chopped green onions
- 2 Tablespoons herbs of choice (Thyme, basil, oregano, marjoram, dill)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- Shred the potatoes on the largest holes of the box grater.
- Wrap the shredded potatoes in a kitchen towel and salt with 1 teaspoon of kosher salt. Stir salt in using a spatula and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Wring out the towel by twisting and get out as much liquid as possible. Move potatoes to a microwave safe bowl.
- Cook in a microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- Turn on the waffle iron for at least two minutes. Then brush with oil the tops and bottoms of the iron.
- To the microwaved potato bowl, add grated onions and herbs along with 1 more teaspoon salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Using a spatula, stir the mixture, then divide the grated potatoes into four equal portions into the waffle iron.
- Close the waffle iron and cook for 4 minutes or until golden brown on both sides.
- Remove from the waffle iron using a tongs, spatula or a wooden spoon, then drain off the extra oil.
- Top with whatever your imagination desires. Then serve immediately and enjoy!
Spatula or wooden spoon
Measuring cups and spoons